Thursday, September 15, 2011

Catchin' up

Wow, time just gets away.  Hard to believe Sept is half way over.

Well it was a lovely running week last week.  I wanted to take it easy but still managed to run 22 miles for the week.  The runs were all nice and easy reminding me how much I love just cruzing along  and having a smooth runs without purpose.  I kept thinking that maybe I'd blow off all the silly half marathons I've got myself signed up for and just keep with the nice and easy.

Yeah right.

So Tuesday I was back at it.  I decided to pick up the RLRF with as many weeks to go to Healdsburg  (October 16th) and then do a modified taper for SJRNR (October 2nd) in the middle of all that.  And then really, do a modified recovery/taper for the two weeks between the two.  In essence I'm doing some squirrely self constructed training plan using RLRF intervals and tempos. Sounds more complicated than it is.

Tuesday had 10 x 400 on the schedule -- gah.  I remember how I bailed after 7 six weeks ago when I did these.  And when I woke up Tuesday morning I was so exhausted (job stress has been a bit overwhelming lately) I knew I'd never be able to finish them.  I considered switching out to the tempo for the week until I sleepily reminded myself that I always did better with the intervals vs. the tempos with this whole RLRF.  So I managed to get there and I was pleased with the results:  (target pace was 1.49)


lap
time
distance
pace
2
01:50.8
0.26
07:09.2
4
01:52.5
0.26
07:13.7
6
01:47.8
0.26
06:52.3
8
01:50.6
0.26
07:13.7
10
01:48.0
0.25
07:04.4
12
01:51.3
0.26
07:08.3
14
01:43.4
0.26
06:43.0
16
01:46.9
0.26
06:55.1
18
01:45.6
0.25
06:55.7
20
01:48.0
0.25
07:07.9


I edited out the recovery laps and the warm up/cooldown.  I was feeling pretty good for #7 and was able to keep it up and then remembered that I do like intervals -- these 400s were kinda fun actually. At the end I knew I was working hard and was happy to be done but I probably could have done one or two more before my time started to fad too much.  I figure that is probably a decent place to end.  I do need to get the heart rate monitor back on though.  I got started with plotting my zones and doing all this stuff but then got distracted.

Then today was supposed to be the tempo run - but that didn't happen.  Lack of sleep caught up to me and I just ached this morning -- so I got up and worked.  Which ended up being the best choice sadly as I was on deadline to get something done and had I gone running, I would have been late.   I'm off to bed soonest so I can do the tempo tomorrow.  I hate to do it the day before the long run but I figure it will just make the long run on Saturday slower and I do need to slow down a bit on those Saturday runs.

Not much else -- I'm giving a lot of thought to next year (I can't help it, I'm a planner!).  Next year is the  Year of the Marathon!!  (It is actually the year of the Dragon, of which I am one -- so I figure that MUST bring me good luck with my first marathon -- it just must.)  I have lots of thoughts on that but for another time.  I must go fetch my daughter and then attempt to sleep so I can tempo my way around the neighborhood in the morning. With my headlamp - how exciting.

No comments: