Friday, April 08, 2011

Last weeks recap

I really ought not to read the running blogs of cute adorable late 20 year olds. I can handle the cute and adorable part but what kills me is that they are fast.  Paces I'll never see because I didn't start running until I was 45 freaking years old.  But good old competitive me gets all jealous.

Oh well.

In the past week there hasn't been a whole heck of a lot of running going on.  Thursday morning I managed to do a small run before I got on a plane to Vegas -- which sounds like the start of a great story.  But alas, it is just the start of a very busy weekend that involved renting trucks and emptying houses and driving truck home.  Crazy.

So the boy and I flew into Vegas and cabbed it to the place where I'd rented a 12ft. Penske truck to drive down to Ft. Mohave, AZ (for purposes of emptying house --  more on that later).  Boy had never been to Vegas before and I guess when you are 19 and there are lights and you've heard how wonderful it is, well, you want to experience that.  But alas, he's stuck with his mother and a truck.  A truck she had no idea how to drive mind you.

So we get rental all sorted and hop in truck.  And I realize that you have to rely entirely on side mirrors and apparently I'm a rear view mirror kind of a girl.  Boy wants to cruise the strip and I can barely pull out of the parking lot.  So we manage to get on road -- and he agreed I was a terrible truck drive so it wasn't such a good idea to cruise anywhere and he proceeded to find us the quickest way out of town.  Bless him.  I managed to only once almost crash so I figured that was good (thank you cab driver who managed to stay out of my way when I tried to change lanes on top of you).  Boy said "mom, you really need to pull yourself together" and I say "Boy, I'm trying."

We arrived about 2 hours later in Laughlin, NV.  Not quite Ft. Mohave, AZ but where we were meeting my stepmom and both my brothers.  I finally convinced everyone that feeding me would be the most appropriate thing they could do and then it was lights out.

Two days of going through cupboards, closets, drawers, filing cabinets, medicine cabinets and then boxing up things up and loading them and various furniture pieces into one of three trucks ensued.  I have to admit that when it comes to doing stressful things, these are the people I'd pick anytime.  Lots of memories were packed up and some even given away or thrown away.  It was tough to run across signs of when my dad was alive and we all had out moments.  But we got it all done and loaded and we're all still speaking.  Success.

By 7am Sunday morning, boy and I were on the road.  Laughlin to San Jose.  Hell of a drive really but we managed it and boy said I improved dramatically with my truck driving.  He was great to have around because even though he couldn't help with the driving, he got gas, manned the iPod, told me I was doing a good job and was generally pretty decent company.  We pulled into my driveway at 5pm just completely exhausted but managed to get truck unloaded (with his dad's help) and turned back in and all was right with the world.

I was getting some bedroom furniture and ended up taking a bunch of stuff back and now that it is in my garage I'm not sure why.  More fun to deal with.

So that was the weekend.  The week was spent working.  Just that.  Working. One small 5 mile run in and that's it.  Half on Sunday so we'll see how that goes.

No comments: